The fourth design principle was born from Vygotsky theory; good learning design engages students in playful activities at the edge of their knowledge. Last class, we discussed what ZPD means and how play is actually learning.  
We also made a connection between the model-coach-fade approached from situated cognition and the way we can help our students cross the ZPD bridge. Thought develops from the interaction with others having that someone modeling for you coach you while you practice and then allow you to do it independently.  
Resultado de imagen para magnetic letter trayThursday morning I was meeting with one of my small ELD groups I had this magnetic board with letters, and we were about to introduce some short word families.  As I took the letters out the kids got excited (they love them), and one of them said, can we play with those! The traditional teacher in me answer, these are not to play with, we are making words and learning, and then it hit me, my mindset switched, and I said wait a minute, we ARE playing.  I  made the connection right there; these kids were taking this symbols (letters) and trying to make sense of them by playing.  That is why this type of manipulatives excites them; they actually can take the symbol and find their meaning, create words that may have meaning and then translate them into their reading and writing eventually making them their own while I fade. 

The kids face lighted up when I said yes we are playing. Their natural instinct was being validated.  Thinking of leaning in Vygotsky terms gave me a new perspective of what I do in the classroom, mostly as I deal with language development, as I move beyond planning to design I will think of language as a symbol that students need to play with in order to gain meaning out of it.  

Comments

  1. What a great "aha" moment! Your experience made me so happy for the kids and so happy for you. To understand that playing with the symbols that make up our language is cultivating the learning for your students is a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny what you can find out from a child when you just provide them certain tools and then hand over the reins. I sometimes get caught up with thinking I have to over-explain things, but putting students in authentic learning situations where they're focused on actively "doing" vs. actively "listening" for extended periods of time will allow them to still get that social aspect of listening to each other while they problem solve. Of course, I have to remember I can still be the "sage on the side" and chime in with important questions to consider here and there, but the students can also learn from each other through social experiences and play as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great example of what "play" can look like in the classroom . Students just hearing that word was the hook for this lesson and I am sure very meaningful for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- what a great moment! This type of thinking is needed in a well designed classroom. Teachers have to find ways to identify opportunities for play, and make use of them. It can be difficult especially when the mindset is continually meeting the next deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome!
    In music class when I introduce a new instrument I give the kids a few minutes to explore the instruments on their own. The result is always the same. Thee play the instruments as loud and fast as they can. Then I teach a lesson and relate the instrument to the concepts we’ve been learning. At the end of the lesson I give students a few more minutes to explore. The result is always much different. Students approach is always more exploratory and calculated. I never fully understood the value of play until our class discussion on Mind in Society.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts